Saturday, February 07, 2009

His Pencil

Sitting down, the kitchen table
late lunch, lot going on
His pencil, well, not exactly,
sitting there on the table.

Such a vivid image,
a rich visual memory
a Ticonderoga 2 5/10, medium
that same yellow and green,
same script of the lettering
But this was different than his.

His pencils, Ticonderoga 3, hard.
Always sharpened,
the sharpener screwed to the desk,
always, seemingly, full length,
a full, untrammeled, pink eraser
somehow they always were so,
or so my memory is, clear,
even forty some years on

His pencil, his precision,
desk always neat,
his care for details
a rich flood of the thoughts of him
while sitting down
for a moment of peace, lunch

February 7, 2009

All of my poems are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. All rights reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss for usage. See all 30,790+ of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

2 comments:

Jim Swindle said...

Thank you for the memory of your father. I recall mine. He used a fountain pen at his office when writing the outlines for many of his 2000 or so sermons.

Irene Latham said...

Hi Raymond - Love this poem! I am asking poet bloggers to send to me their favorite famous poem and a link to their blog so I can feature one a day during National Poetry month on my blog. I'd love to have you on board! irene at irenelatham dot com