Monday, March 09, 2009

Sermon - "Worship…it’s not just for Sunday anymore!", by Pastor Ruth L. Foss, March 8, 2009, Suncook United Methodist Church

Revelation 4
NLT Version

Prayer: God of ages past and present, we come today to hear the word You have for us today. We ask that you would pour out your Spirit on us gathered here today. Enlighten us and enable us to see how you would have us worship You. Searcher of our hearts, renew us each day so that we may stand the test of trials in our lives. Strength of our lives, help us to stand strong so that you may be glorified through us in all that we do. Speak Lord, Your servants are listening. Amen.

Have any of you ever watched the church services on the Television? I know I have. I look on in awe seeing all those lifted hands in praise, all those people who are into the moment of worship. These people look as if they are in the presence of God. I have wanted to be where they are so much. To be in the presence of the Creator of all…what a feeling that is...knowing that God has come down in Spirit and entered into your worship of Him. But…I have a question for you this morning…what is your definition of worship? What makes you feel as if you are worshipping the Eternal Source of knowledge…the Awesome One…Creator of heaven and earth? (Give time for congregation to answer) Well when I think of worshipping God I think of worshipping Him with all my heart, mind body and soul.

I looked up the definition of worship in the dictionary (yes even we all knowing, all seeing pastors need a little help at times) and there were many definitions there. One is to idolize; to love unquestionably (Well…there are things and people in my life I idolize but I don’t really think that this definition suits me too well). Another is to show devotion to (Well there are many things I am devoted too…reading devotions and praying to begin my day…I’m devoted to my husband and children…I am devoted to you as a church…but I don’t really think this definition works either). The activity of worshipping and attending a religious service are also definitions of worship (Well…we are all here this morning to worship God as a community, but even that doesn’t seem like enough to me). How about a feeling of profound love and admiration? (Well I think that we have all had that feeling not only to God but to other things and people as well). So where can we find out what true worship really is? Well…I am glad you asked that question. In Revelation, we can catch a glimpse of what real worship is like.

Revelations 4 reads (I am reading from the New Living Translation this morning):

1 Then as I looked, I saw a door standing open in heaven, and the same voice I had heard before spoke to me like a trumpet blast. The voice said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must happen after this.” 2 And instantly I was in the Spirit and I saw a throne in heaven and someone sitting on it. 3 The one sitting on the throne was as brilliant as gemstones—like jasper and carnelian. And the glow of an emerald circled his throne like a rainbow. 4 Twenty-four thrones surrounded him, and twenty-four elders sat on them. They were all clothed in white and had gold crowns on their heads. 5 From the throne came flashes of lightning and the rumble of thunder. And in front of the throne were seven torches with burning flames. This is the sevenfold Spirit of God. 6 In front of the throne was a shiny sea of glass, sparkling like crystal.

In the center and around the throne were four living beings, each covered with eyes, front and back. 7 The first of these living beings was like a lion; the second was like an ox; the third had a human face; and the fourth was like an eagle in flight. 8 Each of these living beings had six wings, and their wings were covered all over with eyes, inside and out. Day after day and night after night they keep on saying,

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty—
the one who always was, who is, and who is still to come.”

9 Whenever the living beings give glory and honor and thanks to the one sitting on the throne (the one who lives forever and ever), 10 the twenty-four elders fall down and worship the one sitting on the throne (the one who lives forever and ever). And they lay their crowns before the throne and say,

11 “You are worthy, O Lord our God,
to receive glory and honor and power.
For you created all things,
and they exist because you created what you pleased.”

This is real worship…this is the heart of worship. I found a perfect definition of worship on storiesofsalvation.org. It states that “Worshipping God as a Christian is not just about singing and fasting and praying. God is not interested in what you do as much as why you do it. He does not honor hypocrisy, only a devoted heart to Him. Worship is not something you just do on Sunday…it’s a life style.” It’s a life style…it’s not just for Sunday morning but it is the way that you live your life…ever praising our God in word and in deed.

I have seen this church not only worship on Sunday morning but also throughout the week. When we open the doors for those who might not have a place to meet otherwise we worship with our actions. When we have a weekly dinner for the community and sit and talk to people and give them words of comfort, we are worshipping with our words. When we step out in faith and are involved in the community we are worshipping with our service. When people see Christ shining in our lives and feels His presence when they are with us we are worshipping with our lives. Even as people washed the pots and pans from the dinner last night (and what a good dinner it was)…even this small act of helping out is an act of worship.

Worship is not just for Sunday anymore…we worship with our actions, with our words, with our service, with our lives. Unfortunately…some Christians have forgotten that…they have forgotten what is the heart of their worship. They have forgotten that God doesn’t look at what is at the heart of what we do. We can all look good when we worship…we can all raise our hands in holy praise of our Lord but it’s what’s on the inside that counts.

We as Christians need to get back to the heart of worship…then and only then we will worship our God in Spirit and in truth… (Show video of “The Heart of Worship” by Tim Hughes)

Amen.

No comments: