Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sermon - God Wants You!, by Pastor Ruth Foss, Suncook United Methodist Church, January 15, 2012

Pastor Ruth Foss
January 15, 2012
Second Sunday after Epiphany
Theme: The Call of God
Psalm 63:1-4 Common English Bible
1 Samuel 3:1-10 Common English Bible
1 Corinthians 6:12-20 Gods Word Translation
Jon 1:35-42 Gods Word Translation

“God Wants You!”

Good morning. . . last week we talked about our baptism and what it means for you and me. We talked about how at baptism we repent of our sins and we receive the fire of the Spirit to go and “set our world a blaze” with the fire from heaven. But my question is this, now be honest. . . have you thought to yourself. . . OK Pastor Ruth, what am I to do with this fire. . . do I really need to go out and share this? Is this part of my call? Well in answer to your questions. . . the answer is yes. . . God the Father, God the Son and God the Spirit calls us into discipleship. . . to follow Christ.

But how are we to know our actual call? How many of you struggle with that very question? I know I still do from time to time. Don’t get me wrong. . . I know I am called to be a pastor but I struggle with what that entails. . . l what am I to be doing “as a pastor”. . . what is my call within my call. . . I am sure that some people feel the same way. Well. . . let’s take a look at a couple of calls within the bible and see if we can get some help on these questions.

In the 1 Samuel we heard this morning, we hear about Samuel’s call. He wasn’t sure about God calling him. As a matter of fact he thought it was Elijah calling him and not God. It took another person. . . Elijah. . . to help him hear God’s call in his life. God calls us to do His will. . . His work. . . in the world. God also puts people in our lives that help us hear more clearly His call. We don’t have to walk alone. There are those who walk with us. . . they are from the “outside” looking in and sometimes. . . that’s the best vantage point. (God the Father calls us to a Holy vocation. . . His purpose for our lives)

From the Epistle lesson, we hear about our call to be one in the Spirit. We are not to live as the world lives but live in a way that honors God’s Spirit within us. But we don’t live in the Spirit alone. . . as we all live in the Spirit. . . all who follow Christ. . . we become part of the same body. Now think about this for a moment. . . we all are part of the same body. . . if one part of the body acts out of character, the whole body suffers for it. (How many times have you heard about some Christians “acting out” and you hear someone say “they’re all like that” it is assumed that everyone acts the same way. And not only Christians but a certain race. . . denomination. . . ethnic group. . . you get the message. . . God the Spirit, through the church, calls us to Glorify God in all we say and do. . . )

I think my favorite “call story” is when Jesus calls the disciples. Listen to what John says about just such an occasion. It is found in John 1 verses 35-42. (Read John Passage from Gods Word Translation)

Come and you will see that’s all Jesus Said was come and see and they followed. As Andrew did. . . we are to invite others to “come and see”. . . we are to be Christ ambassadors inviting others to the mercy seat. . . to the cross of forgiveness. . . to come and see the Bright Morningstar. (God the Son calls you and me to discipleship. . . to come and follow and invite others to come and see)

Last week, we rang in the New Year with a reaffirmation of our Baptism. This week. . . I invite us to reaffirm our covenant of discipleship. It’s a new year full of new beginnings...new possibilities. . . renewed strength. I would like to end my sermon with that reaffirmation..with John Wesley’s, our founder, Covenant Prayer that is in our bulletin this morning as an insert as well as The prayer of Saint Francis found on page 481 in the Hymnal. As we pray these prayers together may God the Spirit inspire us and give us eyes to see more clearly the vision God has for you and me as we begin a new year.

AMEN

Worship Theme – “The Call of God”
John 1:35-42 God’s WORD Translation (GW)
1 Samuel 3:1-10 Common English Bible (CEB)
1 Corinthians 6:12-30 God’s WORD Translation (GW)
Call to Worship (Psalm 63:1-4 Common English Bible (CEB))
Unison Prayer (Abington Worship 2012)
Prayer of Dedication (GBOD (John 1:43-51))
Wesley’s Covenant Prayer
Prayer of St. Francis, UMH #481
and sermon, “God Wants You!”
by Pastor Ruth Foss
sermon blog
meditation blog
“God’s Whisper” blog
Suncook United Methodist Church
Suncook, NH
Second Sunday after Epiphany
January 15, 2012


All of my poems are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. All rights reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss for usage. See all 39,180+ of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

No comments: