Friday, April 06, 2012

Sermon, "Into Your Hands I Commend My Spirit", by Pastor Ruth Foss, Seven Last Words ecumenical service, Suncook United Methodist Church, 4/4/2012

Seven Last Words
April 4, 2012
Into Your Hands I Commend My Spirit

Into Your Hands I Commend My Spirit

There once was a pastor in a small New England town. He was walking through town when he saw a young boy coming toward him swinging this bird cage. On the bottom of the cage were three little wild birds, shivering with cold and fright. He stopped the lad and asked, "What do you have there, son?" "Just some old birds," came the reply. "What are you going to do with them?" he asked. "Take 'em home and have fun with 'em," he answered. "I'm gonna tease 'em and pull out their feathers to make 'em fight. I'm gonna have a real good time." "But you'll get tired of those birds sooner or later. What will you do then?" "Oh, I got some cats," said the little boy. "They like birds. I'll take 'em to them."
The pastor was silent for a moment. "How much do you want for those birds, son?" “Huh?? !!! Why, you don't want them birds, mister. They're just plain old field birds. They don't sing. They ain't even pretty!" "How much?" the pastor asked again. The boy sized up the pastor as if he were crazy and said, "$10?"
The pastor reached in his pocket and took out a ten dollar bill.. He placed it in the boy's hand. In a flash, the boy was gone. The pastor picked up the cage and gently carried it to the end of the alley where there was a tree and a grassy spot. Setting the cage down, he opened the door, and by softly tapping the bars persuaded the birds out, setting them free.”Then the pastor began to tell this story: One day Satan and Jesus were having a conversation. Satan had just come from the Garden of Eden, and he was gloating and boasting. "Yes, sir, I just caught a world full of people down there. Set me a trap, used bait I knew they couldn't resist. Got 'em all!" "What are you going to do with them?" Jesus asked. Satan** replied, "Oh, I'm gonna have fun! I'm gonna teach them how to marry and divorce each other, how to hate and abuse each other, how to drink and smoke and curse. I'm gonna teach them how to hate and have wars to kill each other. I'm really gonna have fun!"
“And what will you do when you are done with them?"**Jesus** asked. "Oh, I'll kill 'em," Satan glared proudly. "How much do you want for them?" Jesus asked. "Oh, you don't want those people. They ain't no good. Why, you'll take them and they'll just hate you. They'll spit on you, curse you and kill you. You don't want those people!!" "How much? He asked again. Satan looked at Jesus and sneered, "All your blood, tears and your life." Jesus said, "DONE!" Then He paid the price.

Jesus completed His work on earth that Good Friday so long ago. He came here on a mission…a mission of mercy…a mission of love…a mission of hope…a mission of salvation. We have heard about six of His last words…His last statements from the cross. But even from the cross, Jesus was still “doing ministry.”

1. Father forgive themHe asked for God to forgive them instead of cursing them. And you know what? Jesus didn’t say forgive the people standing around the cross or forgive the people who insulted me…but forgive them…that includes you and it includes me…
2. Today you will be with me in paradise…even though at the last minute this theif understood who Jesus was…even though it was late in his life. He was still going to be in paradise. It’s never too late. Jesus came for all who are lost…He came to set ALL of humanity free…
3. Behold your son…behold your mother  An adoption at the cross. Jesus was showing those around Him about the type of relationship we should be in with each other. We are all part of one family. We are all part of the body of Christ.
4. My God, My God, why have You forsaken me  We have a savior who knows the pain of feeling alone. As He cried out “Eloi, Eloi, Lama Sabacthan”"…He knew what it was like to feel abandoned. We have a Savior who can walk those lonely roads, stay up those fearful nights. We are never alone…
5. I thirst  Jesus was the Living Water, and now the water had run dry. He knew what it meant to thirst and knows how to quench our thirst if we only but ask for that drink…if only we would drink deep of the waters of life found in Christ Jesus.
6. It is finished  Now it was finished. The curtain was torn…the entry to the holiest of holies was now open for you and or me. It is finished…He came, he sought out, he found and in three days He would conquer…It was finished.
And now…He was done!
7. Into your hands I commit my spirit  He was done. He entrusted His Spirit to the One who would raise Him again in three days conquering sin and death.

He made a way for you and for me to have the gift of salvation through His sacrifice. 1 cross + 3 nails = a new life for you and for me. My question is this, Have you and I visited Calvary’s Cross lately. Have you and I accepted that gift that freely flows down from heaven. A gift that is so precious that our lives depend on it. I would ask that we would pray this prayer together. If you haven’t accepted that free gift of Easter your life just may depend on it. If you have accepted that gift that was given at “Son-rise” then let us visit the cross again in thanksgiving.

Dear Jesus, I believe that through you I am given a new life, a life changed by the sacrifice…by the work of redemption that was done on Calvary’s Cross. Thank you for loving me so much that you would even die for me. What wondrous love is this. Lord, I need you more and more each day. Come into my life and make it whole. Continue to work in me so that God is glorified in and through me. I love you and I need you. You truly were and are the Son of God.
Amen.

April 5, 2012
Seven Last Words Ecumenical Service
Opening prayer
Father forgive them, for they know not what they do
(Luke 23:34).
Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise
(Luke 23:43)
Woman, behold your son: behold your mother
(John 19:26-27).
My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?
(Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34).
I thirst
(John 19:28).
It is finished
(John 19:30).
Father, into your hands I commit my spirit
(Luke 23:46).
and sermonette

by Pastor Ruth Foss
sermon blog
meditation blog
Suncook United Methodist Church
Suncook, NH


April 4, 2012
Lent


All of my poems, photographs, and videos are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. All rights are reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss (raymondafoss@gmail.com) for usage. See all 43,070 of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

No comments: