Wednesday, February 06, 2013

The Smoke, the Ashes – v2



Ashes on my fingers, on my skin,
sweet smoke, filling my lungs
the moment, the power, of His sacrifice
these days of Lent, beginning today
more awesome, greater clarity, more real
now, today, having burned the palms
having broken those which were held in hope
in reverence, for the coming of the king
triumphant into his city

Burned for the ashes of this season
remembering, maybe more than ever,
understanding this offering, burned for me
His life to ashes, to dust
God’s breath taken away,
heavy in my nostrils, in my lungs
made real in a whole new way
this day, in remembrance

Beginning the forty day journey
leading through your ministry,
your faith, your gift of grace
your suffering, and your death,
Back to the earth;
But, oh to your rising,
my risen brother, triumphant
my Savior, and my Lord


Edited February 6, 2013
“The Smoke, the Ashes – v2”
February 25, 2009
“The Smoke, the Ashes”
Ash Wednesday
burning the palms, making the ashes
Pastor Ruth Foss
A Handmaiden of the Lord
Suncook United Methodist Church
Suncook, NH

All of my poems are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. All rights reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss for usage. See all 22,050+ of my poems at http://www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

No comments: