Tuesday, November 28, 2017

sermon, "The King is coming...", by Pastor Ruth Foss, Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church, Patten, ME, November 26, 2017, Christ the King Sunday



November 26, 2017
Stetson Memorial UMC
Christ the King Sunday
Psalm 95:1-7
Matthew 25:31-46
Revelation 19:11-16
(All Scripture is from “The Voice” Bible)

“The King is coming…”

The Lord be with you…Let us pray…

Please stand for the reading of the Gospel according to Matthew, chapter 25, verses 31 to 46. Listen for a Word from God for both you and I, children of the King…

Hope as sat at the table in the coffee shop, she thought to herself, “why is this whole Jesus thing so complicated. I know that He is above all and that He is the King of kings and or of all lords. God’s Word tells us that and so much more. It also tells us that He is going to return soon. So why are so many acting as if it is just a myth. They say they are Christians…there goes that label again…and they believe that God’s word is true, but they don’t seem to care about the fact that when He returns He is going to judge all of us. He will see right into the heart and separate us between those who lived out His commission and those who just did it lip service.”

As she pondered, there was a voice that seemed to come out of nowhere. She was so deep in thought that it startled her. “Hi…are you ok Ms.?” the voice questioned. “Oh, my goodness, you scared me. Well sort of Okay. Why do you ask?” Hope asked the stranger who had just came and sat at the table next to her. “Well you look as if you could use a friend. What do you mean by sort of ok? Is there something I can do to help?” the woman asked. Hope thought s she looked truly concerned for her and that there was something about her that made her feel comfortable. “I am sorry, introductions are in order here. My name is Esther. I come here often, mainly because it is just around the corner from my house, but it does have some pretty good coffee.” “Hi Esther, my name s Hope. I was just thinking about a few things. Are you by any chance a Christian?” Hope asked, a little apprehensively. “Sure m. I love God and Jesus. I hope that doesn’t scare you away. It seems as if when I tell people that I am a Christian, they look for the closest exit.” Esther lamented. “Good. My question is this. If Christians believe in the bible and the truth it tells them, why don’t they act it out in their lives. I mean it tells us that Jesus is coming back and that they need to be about His work, but they act as if it wasn’t true. They don’t seem to care that they are going to be judged when He comes back. They look at others with no compassion and love. I am so confused…” Hope asked. “Are you by happen of chance a person new or has recently come back to Jesus?” Esther asked. “Newly back…” Hope sighed.

“Well…all believers are not the same. Some are out doing all they can for God’s Kingdom and not their own. But others are too busy building their own that they can’t see the signs of His return. They have sort of accepted the invitation but don’t really understand what the invitation is all about,” Esther explained. “Invitation. What kind of invitation are you talking about?” Hope asked even more confused now. “I can see no one has ever helped you understand what this whole invitation to Jesus is all about. Let’s get some more coffee. I will try to explain it to you,” Esther said over her shoulder as she went to the coffee station. “Cream and sugar Hun?”, she asked. “Yes please,” Hope answered… “Ok…let’s get started…”

Good morning to you all and happy Christ the King Sunday. Christ the King is the last Sunday of the season of Pentecost and of the church year. This day completes the Christian journey through the life of Jesus Christ on earth and in heaven which began with the preparation for the birth of Jesus in Advent.” So, it is actually the last day in the liturgical year. Now…Kings are absolute rulers: they attain power by raising and leading armies into war against other countries. Jesus' war was not against people or against a country, but against sin, death, and the power of the Devil. By his death, resurrection, and ascension, Jesus won the war against evil.
All that Christians are asked to do is to accept that Jesus fought and won the war for their sakes and to recognize him as King of Kings. On Christ the King Sunday, Christians recognize and worship Christ as king of heaven and earth for all time without challenge and without end.”

It is interesting how we celebrate the return of Jesus as King of kings and Lord of lords just before we begin the journey to the stable where it all began. We are all given an invitation to the stable. You and I have said yes to the invitation. You and I have said yes to the offer of redemption. You and I have said yes…Jesus is our all-in-all. But my question is this. What have you and I done for the kingdom? Give time to answer. Are you and I not only expectantly waiting to celebrate His birth, but also waiting expectantly for His return? God’s Word tells us that He is going to return. (I am paraphrasing here) I have gone to prepare a place for you and if I go to prepare a place for you, I will return to bring you where I am…where I have prepared that place for you…

Scripture is clear about what we are to be doing…we are to be about our Fathers business as Jesus was. And if we are not…well we have heard what will happen. That Whole sheep and goat thing we hear about in the scripture from Matthew. You and I sang the Revelation Song this morning…but do we believe? Do you and I believe that He is the One that was, and is, and is to come? Is to come… And if so what are we doing with that knowledge…

One of my most favorite passages in the bible comes from Revelation 19… I can envision the scene…Let me read the scripture for you but I want you to do something for me…close your eyes, clear your mind, and envision what I am reading…
Revelation 19:11-16The Voice (VOICE)
11 I looked up and saw that heaven had opened. Suddenly, a white horse appeared. Its rider is called Faithful and True, and with righteousness He exercises judgment and wages war. 12 His eyes burn like a flaming fire, and on His head, are many crowns. His name was written before the creation of the world, and no one knew it except He Himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name He was known by is The Word of God. 14 And the armies of heaven, outfitted in fine linen, white and pure, were following behind Him on white steeds. 15 From His mouth darts a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. He will rule over them with a scepter made of iron. He will trample the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God, the All Powerful. 16 And there on His robe and on His thigh, was written His name: King of kings and Lord of lords.
Can you picture it…can you picture yourself in that army from heaven? It is believed that “The saints who have fought the good fight here, and who loved not their lives unto the death, will share the triumph of their king,” they are part of the army from heaven. We…are part of that army…we are the ones dressed in White…we are the ones who fight with and for the Kingdom. This is clear proof that He is coming back to judged… How are you and I going to be judged? It is all about choices and what we do with the invitation.

What is within that invitation? Where does the invitation begin? What are you and I invited too and is it something we think is important enough to invite others? I would propose this to you… This Advent, let’s go on a journey. I would like us to journey into “The Invitation” and find “An Invitation” … to…well that’s what we are going to discover…maybe for the first time… My challenge to you is this…you have all be given invitations for “The Invitation” … share them. People say they don’t come to church because they are not invited…well… invite them to “An Invitation” to discover the invitation of Advent…the celebration of the birth of the King of kings, whose manger was perfectly King sized.  Let us shout from the rooftop, with the Psalmist…

Come, let us worship in song, a joyful offering to the Eternal.
    Shout! Shout with joy to the rock of our liberation.
Come face-to-face with God, and give thanks;
    with loud and joyful voices, praise Him in songs.
For the Eternal is a great God,
    and a great King, supreme over all gods.
Come, let us worship Him. Everyone bow down;
    kneel before the Eternal who made us.
For He is our God
    and we are His people, the flock of His pasture,
    His sheep protected and nurtured by His hand.

The King is coming…will you and I be ready…?

Amen.




November 28, 2017
when I say I am a Christian
edited/new name November 28, 2017
I say I am a Christian
edited/new name November 28, 2017
We say we are Christians
November 28, 2017
They say they are Christians
edited/new name November 28, 2017
Christ will come down from heaven
edited November 28, 2017
Christ will judge us – v2
November 28, 2017
Christ will judge us
November 28, 2017
God will see our heart
November 27, 2017
whitewashed Christians
Matthew 23:27-28 (The Message)
““You’re hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds!
You’re like manicured grave plots, grass clipped and the flowers bright,
but six feet down it’s all rotting bones and worm-eaten flesh.
People look at you and think you’re saints, but beneath the skin
you’re total frauds.”
November 27, 2017
false Christians - 2
edited November 27, 2017
lumped in with the others – v2
November 27, 2017
lumped in with the others
edited November 26, 2017
Why would I want to be a Christian – v2
November 26, 2017
why would I want to be a “Christian”
November 26, 2017
the name Christian spit from their lips
November 26, 2017
the name Christian spit from their lips
edited November 26, 2017
I saw heaven open – v2
edited to fit Twitter 280 characters
November 26, 2017
I saw heaven open
November 26, 2017
Ladies of scripture
November 26, 2017
Christ the King Sunday
Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church
Psalm 95:1-7 (The Voice
Matthew 25:31-46 (The Voice)
The Final Judgement
The Sheep and the Goats
Revelations 19:11-16 (The Voice)
The Rider
and sermon “The King is coming…”
text
video
by Pastor Ruth Foss
sermon blog
meditation blog
“God’s Whisper” blog
Children’s Message
by Pastor Ruth Foss
Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church
Christ the King Sunday
November 26, 2017

All of my poems, photographs, and videos are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. All rights are reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss (raymondafoss@gmail.com) for usage. See all 45,540 of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

Christ, Spirit, God, Faith, love, grace, Pastor Ruth Foss, Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church, poem, Matthew 25, Psalm 95, prayer, Christ the King Sunday, Revelation 19, sheep, goats, judgement, Christian, second coming, Advent,

#Christ #God #Spirit #Faith #love #grace #poem #Psalm95 #Matthew25 #pray #praying #prayer #hope #ChristtheKingSunday #Revelation19 #sheep #goats #judgement #Christian #Esther #rider #secondcoming #Advent

No comments: