Monday, May 14, 2012

Sermon - "I Wanna Know What Love Is", by Pastor Ruth Foss, Suncook United Methodist Church, 5/13/2012

May 13, 2012
Sixth Sunday of Easter/Mothers Day
Worship Theme: That’s What You Call Love
Acts 10:44-48 a NRSV Bible
1 John 5:1-5 NRSV Bible
John 15:9-17 Common English Bible

“I Wanna Know What Love Is”

The past few weeks, we have been on a journey, looking at the first church and sort of how it began. We have been working our way to Pentecost Sunday, the day that the Spirit. . . the Counselor. . . was poured out on the first church. . . well, when the church actually began. It is only fitting that our subject this morning is love with it being Mothers Day and all. So. . . the definition of love. . . Wikipedia says (And I’m only reading part of what it says):

Love is an emotion of a strong affection and personal attachment.[1] Love is also a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection; and "the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another".[2] Love may also be described as actions towards others or oneself based on compassion, or as actions towards others based on affection.[3]

In English, love refers to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes, ranging from pleasure ("I loved that meal") to interpersonal attraction ("I love my partner"). . . This diversity of uses and meanings, combined with the complexity of the feelings involved, makes love unusually difficult to consistently define, compared to other emotional states.

The world is full of all kinds of love but we as Christians have our own “Brand” of love. . . Love of God in Christ Jesus. Our love is different than the world’s kind of love. Love is something that is hard to define but there is a way that God would have us love. . . Humanity’s love may change with the times, but God’s love. . . His type of love. . . remains for an eternity as well as the way He would have us love, remains the same for an eternity.

I gotta take a little time A little time to think things over I better read between the lines
In case I need it when I’m colder. . .

As we heard in the Acts scripture this morning, God’s love encompasses all. The people. . . the believers. . . that came with Peter were astounded that even “those people” were included in the “Holy Spirit Download.” Those gentile people. Not just a certain few. Humanity today would have us love only those who are like us, those who agree with us. But God says “No” we are to love all. . . even our enemies. God’s love tells us we are all of sacred worth but humanity says you are only worth what “we” tell you. How many blessing we miss out on when we decide there should be a dividing line between us and our neighbors. . .

In my life there's been heartache and pain, I don't know if I can face it again can’t stop now, I’ve traveled so far To change this lonely life. . .

We also heard this morning about a love that obeys. We heard that when we love God and when we obey His commands we love all the children of God. It is our love and faith that conquers the world, not our might and strength. God is love and as we love, God’s love is shown in and through us. Society would have us obey their laws that negate and oppress others but God has a more perfect way for us to be. . . a way that leads to life for all.

I wanna know what love is..... I want you to show me...... I wanna feel what love is..... I know you can show me......

But there is one more piece that I would like to share with you this morning. It is found in John 15 verses 9-17. . . It’s the other part of the True Vine scripture. . . It reads: I’m reading from the Common English Bible. . .

If we are in the True Vine and the Vine in us we will love each other as Jesus loved. . . sacrificially not just as we love our selves. There’s a turn there in that commandment. . . to love as Jesus Loves. As we love like this we become friends not servants who know nothing about their master. Our Master shines through us. Jesus loved so much that He laid down His life for you and for me. We are chosen so that we can produce fruit, the fruit of love, for God.

I'm gonna take a little time A little time to look around me.... I’ve got nowhere left to hide
It looks like love has finally found me....

Beloved workers in God’s vineyard, if we are to be Christ’s light in the world we need to let His love and compassion shine through us. We need to step away from ourselves and step into others lives with the light that breaks through the darkest night. . . the light that is within us. . . the light that is not hidden but shines for all to see. Let us go forth and light our world so that all can find the light of our hearts. . . our Risen Lord Jesus Christ. Let us show what love really is. . . that radical love that kept Jesus nailed to the Cross for you , for me, for all of humanity. . .

I wanna know what love is..... I want you to show me...... I wanna feel what love is..... I know you can show me......

Amen

May 14, 2012
John 15:9-17 (Common English Bible)
Acts 10:44-48a (NRSV)
1 John 5:1-5 (NRSV)
Worship Theme: “That’s What You Call Love”
Call to Worship (Psalm 66:1-2, 4)
Unison Prayer (Worship Sourcebook ©2004)
as we all bowed our heads during the pastoral prayer
pastoral prayer
prayer before offering
Prayer of Dedication (GBOD 2012, John 17:6-9)
Hymn, “They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love” (TFWS #2223)
(John 13:34-35; Ephesians 4:4-6)
and sermon, “I Wanna Know What Love Is”
(with nod to Foreigner, acknowledgement of division
at the 2012 United Methodist General Conference on the issue of
same-sex marriage and ordination of gay clergy,
and the announcement this week that President Obama
believes same-sex couples should be allowed to marry)

Suncook United Methodist Church
Suncook, NH

May 13, 2012
Sixth Sunday of Eastertide
Mother’s Day
&
John 15:1-8 (Common English Bible)
Acts 8:26-40 (NRSV)
1 John 4:7-12 (NRSV)
Worship Theme: “Life in Christ”
Call to Worship
Unison Prayer
Prayer of Dedication (Acts 8:26-40)
and sermon, “Piety and Production?”
by Pastor Ruth Foss
Suncook United Methodist Church
Suncook, NH
May 6, 2012
Fifth Sunday of Eastertide


All of my poems are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. All rights reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss for usage. See all 35,810+ of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

No comments: