Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Butter Melting

She marched into the kitchen
all purposeful and proud
stepstool from the bathroom
in her four-year old arms

“I’m going to watch the butter melt!”
she proclaimed to all the world,
or at least to me at the sink.
Two sticks of butter in the clear glass bowl,
not yet ready for their joining with the other ingredients
for a planned batch of cookies
sitting on the counter defiantly not melting,
since she made that statement, I’m sure

What a wonderfully exciting life you have…
I laughed to myself to her left
watching butter melt…
and then she said, “I can see it melting!”

I wonder if she really did,
if something in the child’s mind
could grasp the infinitesimal movement of the cells, the molecules
of the butter
in the bowl, on the counter
waiting, maybe wanting,
to be something bigger than itself
to meld with the rest

To tickle her tongue,
once the frosting, the sprinkles,
and the special “wham” from her older sister
sealed in the goodness



===============
edited March 8, 2018
Butter Melting – v2
May 17, 2006 6:47am
Butter Melting

All of my poems, photographs, and videos are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. All rights are reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss (raymondafoss@gmail.com)  for usage. See all 46,460 of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

butter, melting, baking, anticipation, waiting, childhood, innocence, purpose, Shanequa, Shyanne, wonder, physics, heat, molecules, science, cooking, child, God, poem, poetry,

#butter #melting #baking #anticipation #waiting #childhood #innocence #purpose #Shanequa #Shyanne #wonder #memory #physics #heat #molecules #science #cooking #child #creator #faithpoetry #frost #God #laugh #life #poem #poetry #PoetryWhereYouLive #praisepoems #praisepoetry #RaymondAFoss

No comments: