Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Safe in My Bed

Before I rise to start my day
I felt a need to stop and pray
for the men and women of our land
who are out there in the world taking a stand
to guard the dark places to keep us free
to watch for the enemy behind the rock, the tree

Remembering the mettle of this day
when people stood for freedom, so our children may play,
to live in a land that is truly free
and be safe in my bed in tranquility.

We celebrate the words in the Declaration this day
but we need to remember to stop and pray
that the words mean nothing without the grit
and the people who have been willing to commit
to the dangerous work of protecting this dream
to fight for our country and keep it from harm

So we rise this morning from our safe beds
and know that our country has nothing to dread
because there are people on guard
out there in the world
We pray for their safety,
each mother, each son,
and pray for their return
when their work is done



July 4, 2007 7:41

All of my poems are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. All rights reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss for usage. See all 19,460+ of my poems at http://www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

No comments: