Friday, January 02, 2009

Sermon - "Anticipation", by Pastor Ruth L. Foss, Suncook United Methodist Church, November 30, 2008

First Sunday of Advent

Mark 13:24-37

Prayer: Mighty God, the shepherds of old were full of your praises, saying that all they had heard and seen was mirrored by what they had been told. Move among us now with your Holy Spirit, that we too might hear and experience the wonder and joy of the living Word as we seek to welcome the written Word into our lives.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.

How many of you have times in your life when you are waiting for something….anticipating something? It may be a birthday…a visit from a friend…a vacation. I know with me, when I was a child (and even now as an adult) when I am waiting for something the anticipation just about kills me. When I think about waiting for something the song “Anticipation” from Carley Simon goes through may head. You know the song that goes (sing) “anticipation…anticipation is making me wait. It’s keeping me waiting…” (Come on…I know you all must have felt this way at some time).Anticipation….Anticipation…Anticipation.

You know…I have two favorite seasons in the year…one being Easter and the other being Christmas. I just love Easter because in the end…we (you and me) receive the gift of salvation because of Christ’s death on the cross. I love Advent because God has given me (and you) the best Christmas present ever…the chance of receiving that gift of salvation through the tiny little baby in the manger. Without either of these gifts…we would not be able to have that right relationship with God.

Today we have begun our Advent season. We are waiting…with anticipation…to celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is a four week wait that ends with a celebration on Christmas morn when God came down…in the form of a child…so that we would have salvation…a restored relationship…with Him. (I don’t know about you but I could never top that gift no matter how much money or thought I put in one)

Now I know that we are expectantly waiting for the birth of Christ but when I think about we as Christians…there is another event that we are waiting for as well that has to do with our Lord Jesus Christ. You see in Mark we hear of another event we as Christians are waiting for…an event that we are waiting expectantly for. This event will change the world as we know it…it is the event where we will have that peaceable kingdom where the leopard will lay down with the goat, the calf and the lion. This will all take place when our Lord returns. Mark 13:24-37 reads: (read scripture)


We don’t know when He is returning but we know He is! (Alleluia! Praise God!)

Now…we know how we wait for the birth of Christ. During our Advent season we celebrate and rejoice as we wait…we know what the date is of His birth. We decorate the church and our homes (by the way…the church looks great!). We think about what God has done through the little baby in the manger. We read scripture and hear stories about Jesus’ birth. It is a grand celebration in a Christian’s life. But…how do we prepare for a day that when we don’t know when it is? We can’t mark it on or calendars so that we don’t forget. We can’t plan a celebration or make preparations for the day of Christ’s return. Or can we?

In the passage from Mark, we are told to not be found sleeping…we are told to watch. Now…you may be asking yourself “But what can we be doing so that we are not found sleeping…what does the scripture mean by sleeping anyway?” Well…I’m glad you asked. We as Christian’s are to be doing God’s work for the kingdom while we wait. Like the man going away and puts each of his servants in charge of his own task we too have been given tasks to do. God has given each of us gifts to use in His service to the kingdom. God will always equip us for each task we are given. 1 Corinthians 1:7-9 tells us that:

Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.

God is faithful to equip us for our every task. (And I am so grateful for that because even when I don’t think I am able to do something God says “you are able because I have qualified you for the call.”)

As I have so many times to you…I see God moving in this Church. I see how God has equipped each and every one of us to do His work here on earth. I see this in the way that this church is concerned for the least, the lost and the last. I see it when you open the doors of this church to those who are in need. Whether it is a place to meet, a meal or just a place to go and be with others, you are working for the Kingdom. (And may I add that you do it well) We “fellowship” with Christ in each person we meet, each person whose life we touch in some way or another. There is a piece of Christ in each of us, it is easy to see it in some but we are willing to look deeper and find the Christ in those who we may not readily see our Lord but we know he is there.

Anticipation…We are waiting with anticipation for the celebration of Christ’s birthday but also His return. In other words “we are expectantly waiting to celebrate Christ’s birth but are waiting expectantly for His return.” God gives us free will…as we wait for Christ’s return how will fill your time. Will you just sit idly by and wait for the trumpet to blow or will you use the gifts that God has given you to use for His kingdom? Will you be like the disciples and fall asleep while waiting or will you be one of the ones that say, “Not on my watch!”? The choice is yours and mine to make. Which will you chose?

AMEN

No comments: