Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sermon - "We Are Spiritual Teachers", by Pastor Ruth L. Foss, May 9, 2010, Suncook United Methodist Church, Suncook, NH

Pastor Ruth Foss
Suncook United Methodist Church
May 9, 2010
2 Timothy 1:3-7 the Message Bible
Psalm 25:4-5 NIV Bible
Matthew 28:19 NIV Bible
Deuteronomy 4:9 NIV Bible
Proverbs 22:6 NIV Bible

“We Are Spiritual Teachers”

The Lord be with you
And also with you
Let us pray. . .
God of grace and love, we thank you that through your Son, Jesus Christ, we have the Advocate, the Teacher within us, the Holy Spirit. We ask this day that you would speak to us through that same spirit; that we would hear the message that you have for us today; that we would have the boldness to be doers and not just hearers of your Word. Teach us your ways O Lord, so that we might be your teachers of faith and redemption. Speak Lord; your children are listening. . .

Good Morning and Happy Mother’s Day. You know I really love being a mother. Even though at times it can be trying, I still wouldn’t change the fact that I am a mother for all the money in the world. Seeing Erica, Shyanne and Shanequa grow up has been a joy although a little scary at times. I remember the day that Shanequa announced “I am going to grow up, have a husband and five children, and I am going to be a pastor just like my mom.” Well. . . I thought to myself “great. . . now she wants to be a pastor just like me. How scary is that God? I hope that through your grace I don’t mess up on bringing her up. . . ” But seriously. . . I am so proud of the way they are growing in faith and understanding. I love to hear their prayers morph into something that is beautiful and heartfelt.

In the Bible, there are many stories of men and women of great faith. There is Moses, Aaron and Miriam, David, Solomon, Job, the disciples and many more. But the one that made me stop and think is the story about faith of Timothy, found in the New Testament. Paul even talks about his faith in 2 Timothy 1:3-7. It reads:

3-4Every time I say your name in prayer—which is practically all the time—I thank God for you, the God I worship with my whole life in the tradition of my ancestors. I miss you a lot, especially when I remember that last tearful good-bye and I look forward to a joy-packed reunion.

5-7That precious memory triggers another: your honest faith—and what a rich faith it is, handed down from your grandmother Lois to your mother Eunice, and now to you! And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed—keep that ablaze! God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible.

This piece of scripture made me stop and reflect on my own faith journey. Where did my faith and spirituality begin? Who are the people in my life that taught me faith? Who are the people, by example, showed me what faith is all about? I remember my grandmother, who was a Methodist. She went to church every Sunday, she sang in the choir, she lived a life of love for those around her and never thought, even once, of not stopping to help someone in need. I remember my mom. She made sure we knew about God. She sent us to Parochial school so that we would learn even more about God and have a good education. She to this day talks about God’s goodness and how God has helped her in her life. I praise God for her on a daily basis. You see. . . I am who I am today because of them and many others that God has put in my life to teach me His ways. (It would take me days to talk about these men and women of faith and I am sure you don’t want to hear a sermon that long. . . )

You see. . . we all have a message to share. We all have a responsibility to show and teach others faith. Jesus went about teaching the Good News of the gospel to all who would listen. (Heck. . . He even tried to teach it to the religious leaders of his day but they wouldn’t listen.) He set an example for the people of His day and that example still lives on today. It lives on through you and through me. Jesus left us with the Great Commission, (found in Matthew 28:19)
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them (Did you hear that. . . teaching them) to obey everything I have commanded you.”
We are to teach those around us the ways of the Lord. We are spiritual teachers for those around us. . . especially children. Deuteronomy 4:9 says:

“Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.”

You see, there is a legacy that we leave only if we choose to take on the challenge and in this day and age it is a challenge for us as followers of Christ, we can leave something that lasts for more than just a moment but a life time. But our children (and society) are being bombarded by so many things that contradict Jesus’ teachings. We need to “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” These children (and adults) are our future.

You may say to yourself “I can’t do that, I really have nothing to give. Isn’t it the “religious leaders” responsibility anyway?” Well I am here to tell you that yes you do have something to share, you have stories to share, and you have experience to share. One of missions, one of our ministries, in life, is to share our stories to encourage others. Our stories show them “faith that can move mountains”. We can teach our young ones by sharing the stories of the bible with them and talking to them about what the story is saying about God’s unending love. (Volunteering for VBS this summer can be a way to teach children the Good News) I have even started a journal for each of our daughters. The journals talk about my faith, my struggles, how God has moved in my life and also how I have seen God move in theirs. There is so much we can do if we but try.

Church. . . we are all Spiritual Teachers in so many ways. You don’t have to be a pastor. . . you don’t have to be a church leader. . . heck, you don’t even have to be “perfect” (it is our imperfection and Gods grace that really helps others see Gods grace to the world). A song comes to mind when I think about being a Spiritual Teacher. . . the song that goes “teach. . . your children well. . . ” I like to think of it as “teach. . . the children well. . . ”.Not just our children we may have brought into the world by the grace of God but ALL of GODS Children. My challenge to you is this. . . this week. . . I want you to talk with someone who may need to hear about God’s grace and if no one comes to mind. . . share it with a child (even if it is by just saying Jesus Love’s You) I challenge you to not only have the faith that can move mountains but to share that faith with others, to be doers and not just hearers of the Word of God.

AMEN


May 10, 2010
2 Timothy 1:3-7 (the Message Bible)
Psalm 25:4-5
Psalm 103 and Psalm 138 (Call to Worship)
Matthew 28:19
Deuteronomy 4:9
Proverbs 22:6
John 14:23-29
Worship Theme: “Where does our Spirituality come from?”
and sermon, “We Are Spiritual Teachers”
by Pastor Ruth L. Foss
sermon blog
meditation blog
“God’s Whisper” blog
Suncook United Methodist Church
Suncook, NH
May 9, 2010
Mother’s Day
Fifth Sunday After Easter

All of my poems are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. All rights reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss for usage. See all 39,090+ of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

No comments: