Sunday, November 02, 2008

On the Shoulders of Saints

We, mere infants, sitting
on the shoulders of saints
raised by their strong hands
up above the crowd
so that we can see the parade, the journey
the faithful path we are called to walk
walking initially, always
on the shoulders of the saints
our way made easier by their walk,
their faithfulness, their love of God
in their sharing of Christ’s work
his ministry, his mission
To tell the world of the love of God
to each one of us, flawed as we may be
Just as I am, he calls me, just as I am
he can use me, my meager gifts
To lift up the next generation
up onto our shoulders, in our time

November 2, 2008
All Saints’ Day Sunday
Psalm 78:1-7
Hebrews 12:1-3 and sermon,
“Seizing the Future By Remembering the Past”,
by Reverend Huntley Halvorson
Suncook United Methodist Church

No comments: