Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Like Them Around the Table

Like the twelve around the table
the Seder meal, the Passover
the lamb of God, changing the words
making a new covenant

So much like them,
so utterly guilty
those who would betray him
deny their brother
those who would run away

Too much like a mirror
something to ponder
in this season of Lent
how much I am like them

Their story my own
at different times and stages
ignoring, denying
betraying the love of God

Wishing it were different
looking in the mirror
down at my feet
as I approach
the communion rail

This time especially
knowing the story
the words of the Messiah
ringing in my ear

The blood on the lintels
the frames of my heart
his body, his blood
given that I may live

Though I am unworthy
just as the disciples
though I would deny, betray
leaving my brother alone

His love greater,
his grace amazing
dying for me
while I remain in my sin

Wanting so much
to follow the call of my master
to repent and change
to submit to the will of God

Praying in this season
in remembering the covenant
taking his offering
and inscribing it on my heart


March 2, 2010
Mark 14:12, 22-25
Isaiah 11:1-5
Isaiah 52:7 (Call to Worship)
Deuteronomy 16:1-8
Exodus 12:1-28
Deuteronomy 11:16-21
and sermon, “A Last Meal”
by Pastor Ruth L. Foss
the first in a series of sermons, based in part on the book,
“24 Hours That Changed the World”, by Reverend Adam Hamilton
http://thewell.cor.org/resurrection-resources/24-hours-that-changed-the-world.html
http://www.suncookumc.org
Suncook United Methodist Church
Suncook, NH
February 28, 2010



Copyright by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
Contact me at Ray Foss
for usage.

No comments: