Friday, March 23, 2012

Out of Our Fears, Out of Our Hopes – v2

When Election Day comes, this November,
we are asked a different question, this year
will we choose to continue, what we have begun
given anew, again, a chance to decide
to choose our leaders, an opportunity to give voice again
to our aspirations, our dreams, our true wishes for our nation

We can choose, to fall from grace, to strike out in hate
to vote out of our fears, disquiet in our spirits
or to vote out of our hopes, to don that mantle of America
that trust in God, our fellow man, to believe again
for our children, and for their children

I choose again to hope, to believe, to dream
to stand resolute, not to give into my fears
my future dreams, over my current doubts
my love for my neighbor, over my hate of the stranger
my similarities with my brother, not differences of station
my longing for a better world, not walls around my nation

I am standing with President Obama


revised March 20, 2012
“Out of Our Fears, Out of Our Hopes”
http://raymondafoss.blogspot.com/2008/11/out-of-our-fears-our-of-our-hopes.html
November 3, 2008
and the response I received from posting this poem:
“Power of Witness”
http://raymondafoss.blogspot.com/2009/01/power-of-witness.html
January 19, 2009



All of my poems are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. All rights reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss for usage. See all 21,900+ of my poems at http://www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

No comments: