Friday, June 13, 2008

Letter from Congressman Carol Shea-Porter, May 28, 2008 on waterboarding

May 28, 2008

Dear Mr. Foss:

Thank you for contacting me about waterboarding. I strongly believe that methods of torture, such as waterboarding, hypothermia, and stress positions, are not an acceptable or humane method of obtaining information.

I was proud to introduce as an original cosponsor, with Chairman Jerrold Nadler of the Constitution Subcommittee of the Judiciary, the American Anti-Torture Act (H.R. 4114). H.R. 4114 would have extended the U.S. Army Field Manual prohibition on torture techniques like waterboarding to all U.S. government agencies. This language was included in the Intelligence Authorization Act (H.R. 2082) and would have prevented intelligence agencies from engaging in torture. The President objected to this language and subsequently vetoed the Intelligence Authorization Act.

I was also proud to cosponsor the Justice for Victims of Torture and Terrorism Act (H.R. 5167), which prohibits the President from granting immunity to Iraqi officials that participate in inhumane acts. H.R. 5167 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. As an advocate for human rights, I am closely monitoring the status of this legislation and look forward to supporting it, should it come to the House floor.

To learn more about current legislation or about my voting record, I invite you to visit the Library of Congress legislative information website (www.thomas.gov). There, you can find the full text of a bill or a summary, who introduced it and when, who is cosponsoring it, and where it is in the legislative process. I also invite you to visit my website (http://shea-porter.house.gov) for more information about bills that I have introduced or cosponsored, and for issue updates, position statements, event announcements, or to sign up for my email newsletter.

Thank you for contacting my office. It is a privilege to serve you in Washington.

Sincerely,

Carol Shea-Porter
Member of Congress

No comments: