Sunday, June 03, 2018

5/27/18 sermon, To the 3rd Power, by Pastor Ruth Foss, Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church, Patten, ME, Trinity Sunday



May 27, 2018
Stetson Memorial UMC
Trinity Sunday
Romans 8:12-17 MSG
John 3:1-17 The Voice

“To the 3rd Power…”

The Lord be with you
And also with you
Let us pray… (Pray for the Spirit’s leading)
Please stand for the reading of the Gospel according to John, chapter 3, verses 1-17. Listen to the Word of God to you and I…His children… Read the Gospel for the Voice Bible

Trinity
NOUN [PLURAL TRIN·I·TIES]
1. the union of three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) in one Godhead, or the threefold personality of the one Divine Being.
2. a representation of this in art.
3. Trinity Sunday.
4. (lowercase) a group of three; triad.
5. (lowercase) the state of being threefold or triple.

Good morning… What comes to mind when I say we have a Triune God? Give time to answer. I am sure Nicodemus must have been thoroughly confused as he talked with Jesus trying to understand about being reborn by water and the Spirit. But as I read this passage I see Jesus also defining each part of the One God. God, the Father, sent His Son, and all who believe receive God’s Spirit. One God but different attributes different parts of the One.

Today is Trinity Sunday in the church colander. It is a day that we confess…we acknowledge our belief that we have a triune God. It is our Christian belief that our God is:
God the Father
God the Son
and
God the Spirit.

Let me explain or try to explain his thought. The doctrine of the Trinity means that there is one God who eternally exists as three distinct Persons — the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Stated differently, God is one in essence and three in person. These definitions express three crucial truths:
(1) the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct Persons,
(2) each Person is fully God,
(3) there is only one God.
For example, since the Father sent the Son into the world (John 3:16), he cannot be the same person as the Son. Likewise, after the Son returned to the Father (John 16:10), the Father and the Son sent the Holy Spirit into the world (John 14:26Acts 2:33). Therefore, the Holy Spirit must be distinct from the Father and the Son.

Having seen that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are distinct Persons, that they are each fully God, and that there is nonetheless only one God, we must conclude that all three Persons are the same God. In other words, there is one God who exists as three distinct Persons.
I believe in God our Father
I believe in Christ the Son
I believe in the Holy Spirit
Our God is three in one
I believe in the resurrection
That we will rise again
For I believe in the name of Jesus

Example… I am Ruth Foss…now I am mom, I am wife, and I am Pastor. All three are the one and each part is fully Ruth Foss, but each are also distinct from each other. All three are interdependent of Ruth Foss, each act differently but they are all the same… Another example… a three-cord strand…it is one strand with three parts that make the whole. Each one is considered the strand. I know I am over simplifying this but if it helps us understand this important fact then good…

And so…this is how I love to think about this…we have a God who is to the 3rd power which makes our God stronger than anything or anyone made or un made in heaven and on earth and under the earth in all time and dimension’s in the universe and beyond… So, in being such…
©my God is a mighty God, and will make my largest mountain into a mole hill…
©my God is a Holy God deserving all my adoration and praise…
©my God will walk me through and valley I go through and I will not be lost…
©my God will walk through the fire of the furnace with me and I will emerge without even the smell of smoke…
©my God reigns on high…
©my God is Strong…
I believe in life eternal
I believe in the virgin birth
I believe in the saints' communion
And in Your holy Church
I believe in the resurrection
When Jesus comes again
For I believe, in the name of Jesus

In the Romans I read this morning, Paul talks about us receiving God’s Spirit that allows us to go to God the Father (Papa) in child-like faith…

What do we believe about our God? Is our God really three in one or is there a more scientific answer? We claim to believe in a Triune God.  I for one need no more evidence… I for one see the three parts of God throughout His Word… What about you?
I believe in God our Father
I believe in Christ the Son
I believe in the Holy Spirit
Our God is three in one
I believe in the resurrection
That we will rise again
For I believe in the name of Jesus
I believe in life eternal
I believe in the virgin birth
I believe in the saints' communion
And in Your holy Church
I believe in the resurrection
When Jesus comes again
For I believe, in the name of Jesus

Amen amen…AMEN!


June 1, 2018
there is one God
May 30, 2018
each of them God
May 30, 2018
only one God - 3
May 30, 2018
born through the Spirit
May 29, 2018
one God, three persons
May 28, 2018
not junior partners
May 28, 2018
reborn in the Spirit
May 27, 2018
make me whole
John 3:16-17
John 3:1-17
“Jesus Teaches Nicodemus” (NIV)
“You Must Be Born Again” (ESV)
“Born from Above” (The Message)
The Upper Room Disciplines for 2018
“Born Anew”
May 21, 2018 to May 27, 2018
by Arianne Braithwaite Lehn
“Ash and Starlight”
devotion for May 27, 2018
Trinity Sunday
read May 26, 2018
&
May 27, 2018
Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church
Trinity Sunday
Romans 8:12-17 (The Message)
John 3:1-17 (The Voice)
and sermon: “To the 3rd Power”
video
text

by Pastor Ruth Foss
sermon blog
8AM Live
meditation blog
“God’s Whisper” blog                             
Children’s Message
by Pastor Ruth Foss
Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church
Patten, ME
May 27, 2018
Trinity Sunday

All of my poems, photographs, and videos are copyrighted by Raymond A. Foss, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. All rights are reserved. Contact me at Ray Foss (raymondafoss@gmail.com) for usage. See all 47,090 of my poems at www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com Poetry Where You Live.

Christ, Son, Faith, Father, God, Spirit, grace, love, prayer, Pastor Ruth Foss, Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church, Trinity, Trinity Sunday, Romans 8, John 3, Advocate, Savior, Creator, Holy Spirit, sermon,

#sermon #Jesus #Christ #Father #God #Spirit #grace #love #prayer #poem #poetry #faith #Trinity #TrinitySunday #Romans8 #John3 #Father #Son #Advocate #Creator #Savior #HolySpirit #breath #fire #sustainer #communion #connection #dance #union



No comments: